Identifying digitalisation opportunities for MSMEs in the Western Balkans
COUNTRY / REGION
Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia / Eastern Europe & Central Asia
In line with its mandate to promote growth and employment in the Western Balkans, KfW aims to support the digitalisation of MSMEs in the region. In order to explore opportunities to develop a support programme, KfW contracted IPC to identify the needs of MSMEs in the region regarding digitalisation and to propose concrete project approaches.
To conduct this study, IPC used a combination of an in-depth literature review, field visits, stakeholder interviews and a standardised survey among MSMEs from the region.
Specifically, IPC’s experts implemented the following tasks:
- analysing the current legal and regulatory framework for digitalisation in the Western Balkan region
- identifying current relevant national or donor/DFI initiatives
- assessing the current status of digitalisation among MSMEs in the region
- scoping the current and potential interest in digitalisation investments among MSMEs
- estimating the potential demand for financing for digitalisation investments
- identifying high potential industries and market segments for digitalisation
- suggesting adequate programme approaches for KfW, including a basic design of possible projects
- identifying potential partners (banks, associations, training institutions) for a future programme.