Enhancing energy efficiency and renewable energy lending
An industrial export powerhouse, Bangladesh is rich in green finance opportunities. Recognising this potential, the Green Climate Partnership Fund (GCPF) granted a USD 30 million credit line to City Bank Limited (CBL). GCPF commissioned IPC to assist the bank in developing its green business line, primarily targeting industrial corporate clients in the ready-made garment sector.
An IPC team led the design, development and implementation of a green finance approach together with a working team from the bank and regular involvement of CBL’s senior management. The project aimed to enhance tools for SME business analysis and risk assessment by revising SME loan processes and procedures as well as the credit risk management policy.
Key tasks included:
- conducting investment-grade energy audits for industrial-scale investment projects to support project assessment and funding
- developing an EE/RE finance portfolio
- supporting local technical experts in identifying, pre-selecting and assessing additional projects
- establishing the necessary structures and processes within the Corporate Finance Unit
- developing relationships with external parties to support green finance
- substantially increasing staff capacity and understanding of EE/RE lending through workshops and coaching sessions
- performing selected internal/external marketing activities to position the bank as a first mover in the emerging market for EE/RE finance
- developing a clear path for CBL to continue and expand EE/RE finance to other business lines